Scaling Up: Unlocking Cement and Concrete Innovation and Deployment
An open-door, interactive cross-sector roundtable to discuss how cross-sector collaboration can accelerate the development and implementation of concrete/cement clean-technology to reduce scope 3 emissions. Bringing together representatives from across the concrete and cement supply chain to collectively share current innovative approaches to reducing emissions from concrete and cement, identify the role of government in facilitating the transition, and the policy/standard updates necessary to scale up rapidly in line with net-zero targets.
15:10-15:13 OPENING REMARKS FROM THE CHAIR
- Jen Carson, Head of Industry, Climate Group
15:13-15:20 SCENE-SETTER FROM SPONSOR
- John Hartley, CEO, Levidian
15:20-15:40 FOCUS TOPIC 1: THE DECARBONISATION CHALLENGE
Moderator: Diana Casey, MPA
- What are the next necessary steps to enable the specification, purchase, and manufacture of lower embodied carbon concrete technologies at scale?
- How must current policies and regulations change to facilitate the implementation of lower-carbon concrete technologies?
15:40-16:00 FOCUS TOPIC 2: MATERIALS BRIDGING THE GAP TO NET-ZERO
Moderator: John Hartley, Levidian
- How are different sectors currently approaching reduction of scope 3 carbon emissions from cement and concrete?
- What promising concrete clean-tech innovations and practices are currently available to scale in the UK, and what do these need to deploy faster?
16:00-16:20 FOCUS TOPIC 3: SUCCESSFUL CROSS-SECTOR COLLABORATION
Moderator: Ian Riley, World Cement Association
- What are some examples of successful low-carbon concrete innovation application through collaboration across the supply chain?
- How can cross-sector collaboration drive demand, investment, and development of large-scale clean-tech cement/concrete demonstration projects?
16:20-16:30 FEEDBACK & CONCLUSIONS